Last week I attended the Community Media Forum presented by Ethekwini Municipality in Durban. They had a very interesting talk by Ms Nonhle Memela of the Business Support Tourism and Markets Unit of Ethekwini Municipality. She spoke on ‘Unleashing potential and talent in youth through municipal programmes.’
(The Youth Empowerment Agricultural Primary Co-op is just one example of how the Business Support Unit has helped local business. Be sure to contact them when next you need to order muffins. Email: email@example.com or call 071-731-8315)
The Unit has some amazing opportunities available for the youth and for business owners.
These are just some of the opportunities available to you:
- They provide integrated business services
- Help with Enterprise Development
- They assist the informal economy and retail market
- Did you know they can help you get your business licensing?
- They help with the Durban Fish Produce and market
- Agri Business
- Development for co-operatives
- The Lions Den Business Plan Competition – loads of prizes and help for your business
- Quality Assurance Training
- Tourism Training for those in the tourism industry or who are interested in it
- Business Linkage programmes
- Strategic Partners: with this they can align your company with big corporates for business deals. Sometimes small companies cannot get their foot in the door to meet with big corporates to discuss business deals. The Business Support Unit can assist you with this in some cases. Visit the Unit and tell them which corporate you would like to do business with and they can help assist the process.
- Opportunities for those in the construction industry
- Women Empowerment Opportunities specially designed for female business owners.
- Access to finance. They can help you with access to finance for your business through their linkages and strategic partners
- The Durban Business Fair – a fair that happens annually throughout Ethekwini. The main business fair happens at the ICC each year and they have various others spread out around -Ethekwini. Look out for it in your area. Attending a business fair helps you get your product noticed and you can sell your products to a bigger client customer base. You can sometimes get big orders this way. These orders can sometimes even be to international clients.
- Business workshops to help you run your business better for example accounting workshops
- They can also help you get your company registered
Contact details for the Business Support Tourism and Markets Unit:
Nondumiso Mhlongo – Business Development Facilitator
Address: Business Support Tourism & Markets Unit, 199 Anton Lembede Street, 7th Floor Embassy Building, Durban, 4001.
This edition by Fred Felton | Twitter @fredfelton